Smart Docklands – Duct & Fibre Management
About the client
In 2016 Dublin City Council made the decision to implement an Open Access telecommunications infrastructure based on the provision of fibre optic cable, and subsequently micro-duct, to interested parties on a neutral host basis within the Dublin Docklands.
Due to the historic features of the Dublin Docklands area, DCC were concerned that many network operators would not be able to fund the high costs of digging new infrastructure.
DCC therefore undertook on themselves to ensure the availability of suitable infrastructure, building on an existing infrastructure owned by the Council.
After a competitive procurement process, Novegen were appointed by DCC as its Telecommunications Agent for the Docklands Network. The model proposed by Novegen provides that connectivity can be leased as per a published rate card available to all on the same basis. The aim is to make the Docklands the best place for businesses that are dependent on high quality telecommunications connectivity to be based.
The Docklands network design reflects telecom operator access neutrality and dedication to freedom of choice. The network is available to all, i.e. telecom operators and other interested parties, on the same basis thus promoting competition. The network design is based on duct, sub-duct, micro-duct and fibre connectivity. This allows us to provide cost effective and high capacity networks that are designed with future requirements very much to the fore.
After the initial installation, no further disruptive civil works are required.
In an environment such as the Docklands this is a real and tangible advantage.
Highlights of the network include:
- Cost Effective Installation – Installation projects are planned in accordance with other activities in the area to ensure minimum disruption and cost.
- Managed – Novegen provide 24/7/365 support in accordance with market SLAs.
- Direct Connectivity
- Tenant Pleasing – The infrastructure allows us to offer tenants access to their service provider of choice without the need for costly and disruptive civil works.
- Availability – The network will be available to all operators and interested parties on the same basis. This provides competition and opportunity for all and benefits the end clients in terms of the choices they now must make their communications decisions from.
- Scalable and Future Proofed – Once the duct infrastructure is installed, fibre cable and micro-duct is installed as demand dictates allowing network growth in the most cost-effective manner.
- Resilient – Novegen have designed the Docklands network to ensure that there are multiple points of access to the network for each of the individual developments. In this way, we can offer a fully protected solution.
- High bandwidth.
- Smart City – The infrastructure provides a platform to deliver scalable smart city solutions.
- Carrier Grade Components – the elements being used in the network, i.e. fibre optic cable/fibre closures/ODFs/patch cords, are in accordance with the highest international standards.